- Start time: The first 15 m (from the starting signal to the time the swimmer's head crosses the 15m mark from the starting wall).
- turn time: A distance of 7.5 min and out of the wall (taken from the point where the swimmer's head passes through a point 7.5 m from the wall into a turn and continues until the swimmer's head passes through the same point 7.5 m from the wall on the way out of the turn).
- Finish lime: The final 5m (from Ihe time the swimmer's head passes the 5 m mark from the finish wall to the actual hand touch on Ihe wall).
- Stroke lenglh: The distance the swimmer's head moves during a complete arm cycle (from right-hand entry to the next right-hand entry).
- Stroke rate (or stroke freguency): The number of stroke cycles per minute.
- Swimming speed (or velocity)
- Split limes (each 25/50 m segment of the race)
by Wayne M. Goldsmith