- Chapter 1. Energy Requirements Barry Braun, Benjamin F. Miller
- Chapter 2. Carbohydrates and Fats Mark Kern
- Chapter 3. Proteins Tom J. Hazell, Peter W. R. Lemon
- Chapter 4. Vitamins Young-Nam Kim, Judy A. Driskell
- Chapter 6. Hydration Susan M. Kleiner, Douglas S. Kalman
- Chapter 7. Weight Management Richard B. Kreider, Colin D. Wilborn
- Chapter 8. Endurance Performance Ellen J. Coleman
- Chapter 9. Purported Ergogenic Aids Jeffrey R. Stout, Abbie E. Smith, Christopher M. Lockwood, Sarah E. Tobkin
- Chapter 10. Life Cycle Concerns Fiona E. Pelly, Peter R. J. Reaburn
Athletes, coaches, and recreationalists are continually seeking ways to maximize their competitive efforts in both exercise and sport, and from 5km runners to Olympians, most athletes recognize that good nutrition is as crucial to success as ongoing practice and regular exercise. Written and edited by top-notch nutrition and exercise authorities, Nutritional Concerns in Recreation, Exercise, and Sport comprehensively covers the major nutritional concerns related to physical activity and the serious recreationalist and athlete, focusing on core questions in the growing field of sports nutrition.
This valuable resource discusses the central roles macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and water) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) play in healthy nutrition. It includes practical considerations related to hydration, body weight, and the use of nutritional supplements as ergogenic aids. It also discusses the various athletic concerns athletes will likely face during different life stages, such as the young athlete, the pregnant athlete, and the aging athlete.
Concise and extensively referenced, Nutritional Concerns in Recreation, Exercise, and Sport provides the knowledge base athletes need to make well-informed dietary decisions, optimize overall health, and achieve personal performance success.