Youth Level Pre-Season training Macrocycle 1
Weeks 22-26 of Macrocycle 1 for Pre-Season training. This is a twice a week resistance program. Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up. Complete in supersets of 2-3 exercises with 45 seconds rest between exercises. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits. Complete an agility program 2x a week.
Multiple Jump Squats
1) Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, trunk flexed forward slightly with back straight in a neutral position.
2) Arms should be in the “ready” position with elbows flexed at approximately 90°.
3) Lower body where thighs are parallel to ground.
4) Explode vertically and drive arms up.
5) Land on both feet and repeat.
6) Prior to takeoff extend the ankles to their maximum range (full plantar flexion) to ensure proper mechanics. Repeat according to prescribed repetitions.
Plyometric exercise of the day. After this, do suicides for agility (2-3 sets).
Partner Med Ball Standing Twist
Starting Position: Have two people stand back to back with one person holding a medicine ball. One individual twists to the right side while the other individual twists to their left side.
Exchange the medicine ball and return to the starting position.
Repeat to the other side.
1) Grasp DB’s and let arms hang down at sides.
2) Start position: Stand with feet slightly wider than hip width apart. Knees should be slightly bent.
3) Lower body by flexing at the hips and knees. Upper body can flex forward at the hips slightly (~5°) during movement. Be sure to “sit back” so that knees stay over the feet.
4) Once thighs are parallel to floor, return to start position.
5) Remember to keep head and back straight in a neutral position - hyperextension or flexion may cause injury. Keep weight over the middle of foot and heel, not the toes.
6) DO NOT allow knees to go past the big toe or deviate laterally or medially throughout movement. Keep abdominals tight throughout exercise by drawing stomach in toward spine.
Incline DB chest press on SB ball
1. Lie on the ball so that the ball is under your upper back. Drop your hips so that they are only a couple of inches off the floor.
2. Start with the dumbells at shoulder level and proceed to press them straight up toward the ceiling.
3. Remember to keep your hands directly above your elbows during the press phase. The dumbells should end up directly above your chest.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Prone Hamstring Curl with Ball
1. Lie on your stomach and place a stability ball between your legs and hold it with the inside of your lower leg.
2. Curl your legs up while holding the ball until the ball reaches your butt.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Standing Shoulder Press with Fit Bands
1. Start by placing both feet on the band and hold each end in both hands at shoulder level.
2. Starting with your elbows at 90 degrees press both arms straight up until your elbows are extended.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat for the prescribed repetitions. Keep your abdominals tight throughout the movement and avoid arching your low back.
1) Position hands wider than shoulder width apart with overhand grip (palms facing forward).
2) Start position: Hang with arms fully extended and elbows facing away from body. Feet may be crossed with knees bent.
3) Pull body up until bar is below chin level.
4) Return to start position.
5) Remember to keep the movement controlled with the body stable to minimize momentum and body sway. If the bar is too high, it is advisable to use a step to ensure proper hand placement as well as safety.
Sit in an upright position and position hands on dip bars.
Start position: Lean forward slightly so that your elbows are slightly past the plane of your back and knees slightly bent.
Press the machine arms down until your arms are perpendicular to the floor.
Return to starting position by bending the elbows to a bent position.
Remember to keep the trunk bent forward, head neutral, and chest up.
1) Lie face down on floor with arms extended overhead. You may place a rolled towel under forehead to clear face from floor.
2) Raise right arm and left leg 4-8 inches off floor.
3) Lower and raise alternate opposite arm and leg.
Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Shoulders and hips should remain squared throughout movement.
Vertical Hip Raise
1. Step up onto apparatus and place forearms into pads. Grasp handles and stabilize shoulders by depressing shoulders down.
2. Start position: bring knees up with hip flexed at approximately 90°.
3. Keeping back firmly pressed against back support, slowly lower legs.
4. Return to start position.
5. Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Keep stomach tight (naval drawn in towards spine) throughout entire movement.
Standing Torso Twist
1. Stand with and shoulder width stance. Hold a dumbell with both hands out in front of your body.
2. While holding the dumbell rotate your trunk to the left maintaining the dumbell position. Repeat to the other side.
3. Repeat for prescribed number of repetitions.