High School Level Pre-Season training Macrocycle 1-B
Weeks 19-24 of Macrocycle 1 for Pre-Season training. This is a Wednesday workout(chest, shoulders, triceps). Perform 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up. Complete in supersets of 2-3 exercises with 60 seconds rest between exercises. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
Pushup with stability ball and balance board
1. Start by placing your hands on a balance board and your feet on top of a stability ball.
2. Move into a plank position and maintain your balance by extending your arms.
3. Proceed to bend your elbows while maintaining your balance until your elbows are bent to about 90 degrees.
4. Extend your elbows until you reach full extension.
5. Keep your abs drawn in tight to maintain good technique.
Hang High Pull
Keep torso straight but bent forward at the hips slightly.
Explosively raise the bar by extending the hips, knee and ankle in a “jumping action”.
Keep your elbows out and shoulders directly above bar as long as possible.
Keep the bar close to the body.
Once you have extended the lower leg shrug your shoulders and at maximum elevation of the shoulders start pulling with the arms.
Keep the elbows high during the pull until the highest point.
This should be a fluid motion where all the steps flow together.
Use 70-80 of max.
Two Arm Kettlebell Jerk
Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent.
Start position: Position kettleball to ear level with an overhand grip (palms facing forward).
Go into a quick ¼ squat. Immediately press hands up above head keeping wrists over the elbow and arm moving parallel to body at all times. Extend legs and stand up and at the same time Lock kettleballs overhead.
This is an explosive exercise and the legs are used to be able to lift more weight overhead
Work with a moderate weight for speed and balance.
Bench Press (dumbbell)
1) Sit in an upright position on a flat bench with a DB in each hand. (You may rest each DB on the corresponding thigh.)
2) Start position: Lie onto your back and bring the DB’s to your shoulders. Press the DB’s up directly above the chest with palms facing forward.
3) Lower the DB’s keeping your forearms perpendicular to the floor and your hands aligned at the mid chest area.
4) Let your upper arms go slightly past parallel to the floor and press the DB’s up to the start position.
5) To end the exercise, place the DB’s on shoulders and return to the seated upright position.
Alternating Kettlebell Shoulder Press/Balance
1. Start by balancing yourself on the board. Next balance yourself holding a kettlebell in each hand at shoulder height.
2. Press one kettlebell up over your head and return to the starting position. Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions and then switch arms.
3. For variety you can alternate pressing back and forth for the desired repetitions.
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension
1) Sit in upright position on a flat bench. Grasp DB’s rest it on corresponding thighs.
2) Start position: Lie onto back and bring the DB to your chest. Press DB up so that it is directly over upper chest.
3) Lower DB towards forehead by bending elbows to 90°. Elbows should remain pointing forward.
4) Return to start position.
Remember to keep back and head straight in a neutral position - hyperextension or flexion may cause injury. Keep shoulder stabilized throughout movement.
1) Sit upright on bench and place hands hip width apart with fingers pointing forward. Place feet flat on opposite bench with legs straight.
2) Start position: Slide glutes off bench with elbows slightly bent.
3) Lower body by bending at elbows until elbows are at 90 degree angle.
4) Return to start position.
This exercise can be exchanged, ocassionally, for weighted dips.
Open Palm Flip
1. Start by holding a kettlebell with both hands at waist level with your palms facing down.
2. Forcefully curl the kettlebell up towards the ceiling and let go so that it continues to turn.
3. Catch the kettlebell with both palms.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Medicine Ball V-Ups
1) Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with knees straight, both hands extended behind your head holding a medicine ball. Keep elbow back and out of sight. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
2) Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench. Extend arms and also raise legs up toward ceiling.
3) Return to start position.