Pre-Season training Macrocycle 1-B
Weeks 25-30 of Macrocycle 1 for Pre-Season training. This is a Tuesday workout(upper body). Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up to start your workout. Complete in straight sets with 60 seconds rest between sets.
Explosive Start Throws
Stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart. Knees should be slightly bent.
Pick medicine ball up to chest level.
Quickly explode up and press the ball straight out as far and fast as you can.
As you press the ball forward explode with either leg so that you actually sprint forward a couple of steps.
1. Stand beside object to be cleared.
2. Bring knees up and jump vertically but also laterally off ground and over the barrier.
3. Land on both feet and jump the other direction over barrier.
Incline DB chest press
1. Start by lying on an inclined bench and hold dumbells at chest level with your palms facing forward.
2. Press the dumbells straight up towards the ceiling until your arms are extended.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat according to the prescribed repetitions.
Machine Chest Press
1) Sit in upright or “bench press” position with back flat against bench and feet flat on floor.
2) Bottom grip position of lever arm should be aligned at the nipple-line (adjust accordingly either seat back and height adjustment, and/or lever arm). Elbows should be flexed at 90°
3) Start position: Press weight forward (use foot-assist if available).
4) Lower weight until upper arm is perpendicular to slightly past perpendicular to body.
Return to start position by pressing weight forward.
1. Adjust seat or knee pad height so that knees are secured while seated.
2. Grasp bar with underhand grip and sit with knees secured in pad.
3. Start position: Fully extend arms with elbows facing forward with back straight (you may lean back at hips approximately 5°-10°).
4. Pull bar down to upper chest area and squeeze shoulder blades together at end of movement.
5. Return to start position.
6. Remember to keep torso stationary throughout movement.
Standing Alternating Bent Over Row
1. Start by holding a dumbell in each hand at waist level.
2. Bend forward keeping your back flat until you reach a 45 degree angle.
3. Pull one dumbell up towards your waist and then repeat with the other dumbell.
4. Continue according to the prescribed number of repetitions.
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
1. Sit in upright position or stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent.
2. Start position: Position DB’s to ear level with an overhand grip (palms facing forward).
3. Press hands up above head keeping wrists over the elbows and arms moving parallel to body at all times.
4. Return to start position.
5. Remember to keep back and head straight in a neutral position - hyperextension or excessive flexion may cause injury.
Close Grip Bench Press
1) Lie on back with head underneath bar, eyes aligned with bar, and feet flat on floor.
2) Position hands on bar shoulder width to slightly closer than shoulder width apart.
3) Start position: Lift bar off rack with bar directly over head.
4) Lower bar to chest at the mid to lower chest level keeping elbows pointing forward throughout movement.
5) Press bar up to starting position.
6) Remember to keep both feet flat on the floor at all times and keep the lower back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or arching of the back may cause injury. Never lock out elbows. Do not allow bar to bounce off chest.
Dumbbell Hammer Curl
1) Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent or sit in upright position.
2) Start position: Grasp DB’s with neutral grip (palms facing each other) and allow arms to hang down at sides. Elbows should be close to sides.
3) Flex at the elbows and curl DB’s up to approximately shoulder level. Keep elbows close to sides throughout movement. This exercise may be done one arm at a time.
4) Return to start position.
DB Preacher Curl
1) Adjust seat or arm support height so that, while seated, top of arm support pad is at chest level.
2) Position arm with elbows and upper arm supported on pad.
3) Start position: Grasp DB with underhand grip (palms facing up) with elbows slightly bent. Choose a narrow or wide grip as shown.
4) Flex at elbows until forearm is perpendicular to floor. Contract biceps at top of movement.
5) Return to start position.
6) Remember to keep shoulders stabilized - do not shrug shoulders forward on down (eccentric) phase of movement. Do not fully extend elbows at bottom of movement.
Cable Reverse Preacher Curl
1. Adjust seat or arm support height so that, while seated, top of arm support pad is at chest level.
2. Position arms shoulder width apart with elbows and upper arm supported on pad.
3. Start position: Grasp bar with underhand grip (palms facing up) with elbows slightly bent. Choose a narrow or wide grip as shown.
4. Flex at elbows and curl bar up until forearms are perpendicular to floor. Contract biceps at top of movement.
5. Return to start position.
6. Remember to keep shoulders stabilized - do not shrug shoulders forward on down (eccentric) phase of movement. Do not fully extend elbows at bottom of movement.