Vertical Jump Workout 3
Complete in straight sets with 2 minutes rest in between sets.
Split Jerk (barbell)
Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent.
Start position: Position barbelll to ear level with an overhand grip (palms facing forward).
Go into a quick ¼ squat. Immediately extend legs and stand up and at the same time press hands up above head keeping wrists over the elbow and arm moving parallel to body at all times. Upon reaching full extension move your stance to end up in a split stance.
Return to start position.
This is an explosive exercise and the legs are used to be able to lift more weight overhead
Hang Clean with Dumbells
Keep torso straight but bent forward at the hips slightly.
Explosively raise the dumbells by extending the hips, knee and ankle in a “jumping action”.
Keep your elbows out and shoulders directly above dumbells as long as possible.
Keep the dumbells close to the body.
Once you have extended the lower leg shrug your shoulders and at maximum elevation of the shoulders start pulling with the arms.
Keep the elbows high during the pull until the highest point.
Rotate elbows around and underneath the bar.
Rack the bar across the front of the shoulders.
Slightly flex the hips and knees to absorb the weight.
This should be a fluid motion where all the steps flow together.
Over the Back Toss
1. Stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart. Have a partner or trainer stand approximately 10-15 yards behind you.
2. Grasp ball and lower body into a semi-squat position. Explode up extending the entire body and throwing medicine ball up and over the body.
3. The goal is to throw the ball behind you as far as you and generating most of the power in the legs.
4. Catch ball on the bounce from your partner and repeat according to prescribed repetitions.
Lateral High Hops
1. Stand to left side of box and place right foot on top of box.
2. Push off the box using the right leg only and explode vertically as high as possible. Drive the arms forward and up for maximum height.
3. Land with opposite foot onto box. Repeat with the other foot.
4. Repeat according to prescribed number of repetitions.
1) Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, trunk flexed forward slightly with back straight in a neutral position.
2) Arms should be in the “ready” position with elbows flexed at approximately 90°.
3) Lower body where thighs are parallel to ground.
4) Explode vertically and drive arms up.
5) Land on both feet and repeat.
6) Prior to takeoff extend the ankles to their maximum range (full plantar flexion) to ensure proper mechanics.
Lying Hamstring Curl
1) Lie face down on bench with pad adjusted to fit behind ankles. If machine does not angle upper torso downward, it is recommended that a pillow be placed underneath stomach.
2) Start position: Position knees below bottom edge of bench or pad. Legs should be straight with knees aligned to the lever arm axis of motion and hands grasping handles or side of bench (if applicable).
3) Raise lever arm by flexing at the knees past 90°.
4) Return to start position.
5) Remember to keep hips in contact with bench at all times. Do not hyperextend the low back during movement.
Horizontal Calf Raise
1. Sit in the machine and place the balls of your feet on the foot plate.
2. Keeping your legs straight extend the balls of your feet and toes out away from you.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat.